Friday, November 11, 2011

Kindergarten Kandinsky Lines

Kindergartners were introduced to the element of design of line. (straight, curly, curved, spiral, zig zag, dotted, dashed, dot-dash, zipper, thick, thin, short, long, and crazy)I always start out asking my students what kinds of lines they already know. If they leave any out, I draw it and we come up with names for these "new" lines.We watched youtube links that showed animated Kandinsky artwork and we identified these different line types in the video. I tried 2 different media with the kindergartners to see which one was aesthetically more pleasing. 3 classes at one school used various colors of crayons to create a "grid" of different lines and then the students could watercolor in the negative spaces between the lines. The 2 classes of kindergartners at the other school used large black Sharpie to create their lines randomly on their paper and then they watercolored where they wanted. I personally felt the black sharpie lines were clear and popped out and captured my attention. So you decide.....




No comments:

Post a Comment