Sunday, November 13, 2011

5th Grade Observational Drawing of Insects

 
I found a lesson on the Getty about Durer's Stag Beetle and Baldessari's Specimen and loved the connection to historical art, contemporary art, and the visual thinking piece as well. I used the lesson to get the 5th graders ready to do an observational drawing of an insect of their choice. I introduced the students to some observational drawing strategies and on the last day, students were walked through peer evaluation of other insect drawings and then finished with their own self evaluation of their insect drawing. I think the rubric needs tweaked so if you have any thoughts, feel free to offer them!

Click on the link below to see the Getty lesson.




Drawing Rubric and Extension questions


2 comments:

  1. Kim-
    I absolutely love this lesson! I used to have students draw insects from observation all the time - there is so much detail to see! Also, what a fantastic student example!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks! I did not know that you had your own blog! I just browsed through it and I love it. I especially enjoyed your college paintings! Soooo cool - the faces with the colored surrounding!

    ReplyDelete